Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Ethics in Jewelry Making // Part 1


Some of you may have noticed that the new jewelry designs on the website do not have any precious metal or gemstone materials.  And the previous collection included a few elements of them here or there, but it was very limited.
 
In designing, I want to create pieces that are beautiful to look at and an enjoyment to wear. I think that the beauty of a piece is more that what we see, it also includes how a it was created and what materials were used. A jewelry piece may be beautifully designed, but if it is made of materials that were collected in a way that is harmful to the environment and was further processed in by individuals who are being treated in an unethical or harmful work environment, then that’s not very beautiful in my mind.

Over the past months I have been leaning more about the issue of ethical sourcing in regards to jewelry designing. The further on I go, the more I have been striving to be thoughtful about the supplies that I am incorporating into the designs.


Earth day is April 22nd, and in honor of that, I hope to share more details with you in regards to this subject. Check back soon or follow this blog to make sure you don’t miss any of these important posts in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment